Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Post subject: Rolling Dice - a How-To
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:06 am 
Site Admin

There's a button on new posts called 'Dice.' If you mouseover it, it gives you a bit of information. Unfortunate, it runs out of room and isn't very clear. So here's more detailed information:

Code:
While {dice}3d6{/dice} rolls 3 6-sided dice and stores them, one can choose the way the roll is displayed with a number of tags.

{dice=img}2d8{/dice} would display the roll using dice images.

{dice=total}4d10{/dice} displays only the total of the whole roll of 4 10-sided dice.

img and total can be combined using a comma between like this: {dice=text,total}5d12{/dice}

Use [ ] instead of { } of course.

Text?  Yes, there's a text mode, which displays written numbers instead of images for the single dice results.

However, you can NOT combine the img and the text mode!

I'd prefer no one try quoting a roll, there's still issues with that. You shouldn't be able to edit your rolls once they've been rolled, so if you can, please let me know.

Though if I see an edited post with a roll in it, that roll will be discounted. If you need to edit a post that has a roll in it, see me first so that I can make sure the roll is recorded before you edit.

Examples:

[dice=total]0[/dice]

[dice=img,total]1[/dice]

[dice=text,total]2[/dice]+10

Make sure you only use real dice numbers, not things like 1d9 or anything like that. Also, when you add modifiers, do them outside the dice tag, like {dice}1d20{/dice}+18, so that it's noted that way. modifiers may get worked in eventually, but the dice roller is still in Alpha. Let's work with what we have.

I would ask that you always use the 'total' tag, exampled above in my rolls and in the code field.

Offline Profile