Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 am

Post subject: Improvements?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:05 am 

We're a couple days into trying it out, so fill out this survey!

What do you guys think so far?

What improvements do you think could be made?

What do you like about gaming on a forum?

What do you dislike about gaming on a forum?

How do you feel about the RP aspect?

How do you feel about the combat aspect?

Any other thoughts/feelings?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Improvements?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:09 am 

What do you guys think so far? I'm enjoying it! I think we're a pretty good group.

What improvements do you think could be made? Combat could probably be streamlined a little more (knowing where we are, where the NPC's are.. etc.) But I think we're already doing well to work on that. The little maps help me a lot.

What do you like about gaming on a forum? No damn dog in my living room scaring my baby and barking at my cats! I also like that you can reply when you need to. If I have to go clean something or feed Maddie or change a diaper or run errands, I can just come back and reply when done.

What do you dislike about gaming on a forum? It's a bit harder to communicate.

How do you feel about the RP aspect? Great! My favorite part so far! I think we're doing awesome. It's nice to actually RP with D&D.

How do you feel about the combat aspect? Better than I expected, actually. I can see it taking a longgggggggg time though, if we don't just smooth over stuff.

Any other thoughts/feelings? I loves you guys.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:34 am 

I'm enjoying it.

Is there a way to add some math to the dice roll totaling mechanic such that you can tell it what dice to roll, include your bonus, and when it does the roll and totals things it can add in the bonus for you?

You have plenty of time to choose your words and actions.

Of course one misses not sitting around a table for face-to-face interactions.

So far I have enjoyed it. No doubt the RPing will have to be very good in order to make the forum work over the long term.

I think with keeping folks updated at the beginning of each round with an updated floor plan is a great idea as long as it's not too much work for the DM.

I look forward to seeing this thing through, with whatever ups and downs may come.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:08 pm 

What do you guys think so far? So far, I like it. Interesting premise for a campaign, with the dimension-hopping aspect it's hard to see how it could get dull.

What improvements do you think could be made? Hard for me to say, not being a 4e veteran to begin with. Will let you know as they come to me. The little map Bajah made was a great idea - I'm not sure how much work it would be for him to make one of those at the beginning of each round of combat, but it'd be helpful.

What do you like about gaming on a forum? Gamin' naked. Okay, kidding... but it is sorta nice to be able to think out what you're going to do and stuff.

What do you dislike about gaming on a forum? I'm with Aedon. Sorta sucks not being around the table and such, but until teleportation is perfected, it's what we got, right?

How do you feel about the RP aspect? I like it. I feel more free to describe what my character is doing or saying than I would at a table. I think this rogue has already done more characterizing than my Cleric has in my friend's campaign. But that might also be player style.

Sucks waiting around for your turn. :lol: But hey, you'd have to wait around for your turn at the table too. But it's gonna be slower, and that's partially okay. I think we'll get the hang of it. My only concern is some of the more nuanced actions, like immediate interrupts and attacks of opportunity, but we'll see how it goes.

Any other thoughts/feelings? Just glad you guys decided to include me in this. Still honored by that, so thank you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

The Maps
Once I create them, updating round to round is really simple. It's the initial creation that can take a long time. Generally if I can find one precreated that is close enough to the layout I want to use, I can go with that. Otherwise, I have to make it myself, like this one.

Combat
This is something I wanted to approach with you guys. 4th Edition is basically written for combat, though the Skill Challenges are nice. I'm pondering the ponderables to see if I can possibly actually do combat purely off skill challenges. Kind of the forum version of a video game where you have to hit X Y B A at the right times to succeed.

I'm actually running this combat round to round because it's a short and easy fight, to see how smoothly it runs. As mentioned, interrupts and reactions make it a lot more difficult, plus while you could post in advance instead of waiting for your turn, something may happen that invalidates your post, so there's a lot of waiting. I certainly welcome any and all feedback you guys have.

The other option is to like run 1 round like this, then 'gloss over' the rest of the combat in storytelling mode, but if I kill one of you doing that, I get the feeling it wouldn't be appreciated. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:28 am 
Site Admin

What're you guys' thoughts on combat? Should I keep doing it as is or consider one of the other options I mentioned?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:37 am 

I am enjoying it quite a bit right now. I like role-playing more than dice rolling most of the time, and I think this is a great outlet for such things.

I think with the added power card BBCode, and possibly an update to the dice roller itself to add in your modifiers, it should be pretty nice. The maps are great, though I have a big understanding on how making that first one has to suck.

I feel I have time to think out my reaction, and write out my thoughts instead of feeling rushed to move along. So, while it sucks we aren't at a table together, it do like the outlet.

No people to hang with, eating food and drinking soda! I think we can schedule a vent session once every month maybe just to get us all together, but not sure how folks feel about that. I know its hard with Mads.

Love it.

It's slow, but that isn't necessarily bad. I think your idea of doing a couple rounds, then going into story-teller mode isn't an issue, but leaving it as is I think takes some pressure off Matt as a DM. If you went to story teller mode, then work hit you, we might have some big lulls in whats going on. Right now, with combat taking its time, its a little easier for a quick upadte, vs. writing an entire new plot.

I am trying to help out figuring out some more useful tools for this. If there is anything you can think of that would be nice to have, let me know (aside from modifying the dice roller).

All and all, pretty stoked every time I hit refresh on the browser (every 2 minutes or so!).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:57 am 

- Digging it, seriously, this is a lot of fun.

- I wish combat could be done faster but we're all kind of stuck with that at the moment.

- During the RP parts it really gives us time to type out and think out good RP lines. During live play that gets lost a lot in trying to move foward. This is like a nice throttle to keep us in character.

- Live is still a lot of fun!

- Digging it, I like writing my duder in the first person too. It's fun

- I liked the end of round status with the map post. That really helped. I might ask to add a block with the party and their current HPs. Like:

Main 36+5/63
Quinn 20/40 - poisoned
etc.

- I'm having fun but stupid work keeps getting in my way of being able to keep this up to date. I'm trying to find a way to keep my character reference nearby but I think I might have to resort to printing and keeping the sheet hid in a folder :) .... which means I'll need to buy a printer.

Offline Profile